Permanent employee, Full-time · Remote
Voice User Interfaces to bridge the Digital Divide: VoiceBridge, a Hishab Ltd. subsidiary, is a Saarbrücken-based software company developing voice based applications and middleware for rural populations in developing countries that lack internet access. Our product enables speech access to web based services via phone.
Developing Interfaces of the Future
We are researching and applying machine learning tools and methodologies to create tailor-made, unique voice interfaces for developing countries and underrepresented languages & dialects. Voice is becoming the interface of the new generation in industrial countries, controlling automated homes and self driving cars. We aim to take this technology to places where the difference it can make is not merely one of convenience, but of participation.
Billions of people all around the world do not have access to information technology, including, and most importantly, the internet – a situation which constitutes a major inhibitor to social, educational and financial inclusion. This disconnect most strongly affects poor rural populations in developing countries. We are working on solutions that bridge this digital divide: Our technology enables these communities to access internet-based applications via voice input using conventional phones.
We are searching for an innovative technical lead to join our company. As the technical lead, you will be responsible for the software development in one of our business domains. You will work closely with the product managers and developers in your team to create amazing products.
To be successful as a technical lead you need to provide a strong technical direction for your team. You should be able to communicate software architecture principles, facilitate discussions and ensure learning in the team. If you produce quality code yourself, we see that as positive.
We are working in a remote setup with and use a modern tech stack.
What you will be doing
- Discuss and support product managers seeking to deliver value.
- Break down high-level goals to tasks with your team.
- Seek to deliver great products with high-quality code.
- Ensure that development adheres to our architectural principles.
- Ensure the domain moves towards supporting frequent, low-risk deployments.
- Be aware of technical debt in the domain and seek to reduce it.
- Initiate development to gain technical progress within the domain.
- Analyzing existing operations and scheduling training sessions and meetings to discuss improvements.
- Keeping up-to-date with industry trends and developments.
- Motivating staff and creating a space where they can ask questions and voice their concerns.
- Being transparent with the team about challenges, failures, and successes.
- Introduce new processes and standards to the team.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or a related field.
- Working experience with containers, Kafka, SQL in production.
- Experience in a similar role would be advantageous (senior dev, software architect).
- Excellent technical, diagnostic, and troubleshooting skills.
- Strong leadership and organizational abilities.
- Willingness to build professional relationships with staff and clients.
- Excellent communication, motivational, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in Agile project methodologies.
- Proven working experience (at least 5 years) designing and implementing software systems, preferably scalable cloud architectures.
What we offer
- An international project with social impact
- An important and shaping role in a fast evolving company
- Opportunity to participate in establishing a new team and setting up work processes
- Opportunities to travel to south-east asian countries (Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Japan, Philippines)
- Flexibility to work from home and/or remotely
- Opportunities to attend conferences, courses and other venues of professional development
- A helpful and open working atmosphere with committed and motivated colleagues