Permanent employee, Full-time · Remote
Voice User Interfaces to bridge the Digital Divide: Voicebridge, a Hishab Ltd. subsidiary, is a Saarbrücken-based software company developing voice based applications and middleware for rural populations in developing countries that lack internet access. Our product enables speech access to web based services via phone.
Developing Interfaces of the Future
We are researching and applying machine learning tools and methodologies to create tailor-made, unique voice interfaces for developing countries and underrepresented languages & dialects. Voice is becoming the interface of the new generation in industrial countries, controlling automated homes and self driving cars. We aim to take this technology to places where the difference it can make is not merely one of convenience, but of participation.
Billions of people all around the world do not have access to information technology, including, and most importantly, the internet – a situation which constitutes a major inhibitor to social, educational and financial inclusion. This disconnect most strongly affects poor rural populations in developing countries. We are working on solutions that bridge this digital divide: Our technology enables these communities to access internet-based applications via voice input using conventional phones.
As a developer you will work on the core of our system, coding and deploying software modules mainly in a microservice architecture in a Kubernetes/Docker environment currently residing in AWS cloud. You will also write tests, document software and talk to people who work on business requirements, such that you can break them down to technical specifications.
What you will be doing
- Deliver excellent, production-ready code to our system applying the Clean Code Paradigm
- Deploy containerized software to AWS and other cloud environments adhering to The twelve-factor app methodology
- Assist in designing the overall architecture
- Collaborate closely with the quality assurance
- Work on projects that integrate speech analysis and business intelligence services
- Follow coding principles (incl. test-driven development, CI/CD routines, thorough documentation)
- Practice the DevOps culture
- Specify technical requirements from higher level use case / business requirements
- Analyse and evolve components to scale and address new requirements
- Successful completed studies in computer science or comparable subject
- Hands on experience in designing and developing applications using Java EE platforms, Spring/Spring Boot
- Object Oriented analysis and design using common design patterns.
- Excellent knowledge of Relational Databases, SQL and ORM technologies (JPA, Hibernate)
- Working experience on different testing frameworks like JUnit, TestNG, Spock.
- Commanding knowledge on Maven, Gradle build tools.
- Experience in developing for cloud environments (AWS)
- Familiar with containerization
- At least 5 years experience as a (full-stack / back-end) developer
- Experience in designing & deploying 24/7 services at a production level
- Fluency in English
- Good documentation habits
- Collaborate proactivity in solution finding and implementation accounting for scalability, security and performance
- High responsibility and team-oriented work attitude in an agile environment
Good to have
- Knowledge in the following development technologies will be appreciated:
- Versioning (Git)
- Infrastructure automation technologies like Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, etc.
- Serverless Architectures / Microservices / Event Driven Architecture / Domain Driven Architecture
- A good reading & comprehension ability pertaining to research papers & patent documents
What we offer
- An international project with social impact
- An important and shaping role in a fast evolving company
- Opportunity to participate in establishing a new team and setting up work processes
- Competitive salary
- Flexibility to work from home and/or remotely
- Opportunities to attend conferences, courses and other venues of professional development
- A helpful and open working atmosphere with committed and motivated colleagues