Permanent employee, Full-time · Remote
Voice User Interfaces to bridge the Digital Divide: voicebridge, a Hishab Ltd. subsidiary, is a Saarbrücken-based software company developing voice based applications and middleware for rural populations in developing countries that lack internet access. Our product enables speech access to web based services via phone.
Developing Interfaces of the Future
We are researching and applying machine learning tools and methodologies to create tailor-made, unique voice interfaces for developing countries and underrepresented languages & dialects. Voice is becoming the interface of the new generation in industrial countries, controlling automated homes and self driving cars. We aim to take this technology to places where the difference it can make is not merely one of convenience, but of participation.
Billions of people all around the world do not have access to information technology, including, and most importantly, the internet – a situation which constitutes a major inhibitor to social, educational and financial inclusion. This disconnect most strongly affects poor rural populations in developing countries. We are working on solutions that bridge this digital divide: Our technology enables these communities to access internet-based applications via voice input using conventional phones.
Working on the infrastructure of Hishab, you will be responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of system hardware, software and related infrastructure. You will create and maintain operational features and take care of security, availability and monitoring issues. You will do technical research and development to enable continuous innovation.
You will be working in an agile environment, following DevOps practices.
What you will be doing
- Work on and improve a container based microservice infrastructure
- Install, setup, configure windows and linux servers on different data centers and cloud platforms
- Deploy multi stack applications and patches
- Assist developers in adhering to deployment and configuration workflows (https://12factor.net)
- Design and implement backup and recovery concepts for data protection & recovery, and failover procedures
- Empower developers with self-service tools to speed up development
- Monitor and manage system, network and infrastructure activities and performance
- Securing the system by developing system access policies and firewalls
- Deploy principles of Continuous Delivery (Versioning, Test-Driven Development, Code Quality Gates/Linting, Continuous Integration) on AWS
- Automate repetitive operational tasks
- When needed, prepare technical documentation for operators, partners, developers
- Take an active part in architecture decisions and complex development tasks
- Set up integration environments, and provision databases for new projects.
- Continuously monitor and optimize performance: Strive for low and consistent tail latency and a joint view of the app and the database.
- Expert zone: Automate scale-out and automate schema changes.
- Backup and recovery: Backup to cold storage and restore.
- Plan for downtime and high availability using multiple data center disaster recovery capabilities.
- Define some standards the developers can follow and suggest design solutions that utilize the features of the database you are already paying for.
- Successful completed studies in computer science or comparable subject
- Proven working experience (at least 5 years) in a related context
- Strong communication skills and problem solving attitude
- Practical experience in network, database and infrastructure security management
- SQL and No-SQL Database design and querying.
- Practical experience in setting up scaling/load balancing features and/or highly responsive systems
- Advanced infrastructure automation technologies like Kubernetes, Terraform, Openstack etc.
- Experience in DevOp methodologies: Continuous Integration, Test-Driven Development, Build/Deploy automation technologies, Code Quality Assurance…
- Strong experience in Linux/Unix and Windows environments and scripting languages
- Fluency in english
- High responsibility and team-oriented work attitude
- Have a passion for technology
Good to have
- Knowledge in the following development technologies will be appreciated:
- Serverless Architectures / Microservices
- Back-end software development with Python and Java
- NLU & Machine Learning APIs (TensorFlow, scikit-learn, Rasa)
- Experience in banking environments
- Experience in Agile/Scrum project methodologies
What we offer
- An international project with social impact
- An important and shaping role in a fast evolving company
- Opportunity to participate in establishing a new team and setting up work processes
- Competitive salary
- Flexibility to work from home and/or remotely
- Opportunities to attend conferences, courses and other venues of professional development
- A helpful and open working atmosphere with committed and motivated colleagues