Permanent employee, Full-time · Remote
Voice User Interfaces to bridge the Digital Divide: voicebridge, a Hishab Ltd. subsidiary, is a Saarbrücken-based software company developing voice based applications and middleware for rural populations in developing countries that lack internet access. Our product enables speech access to web based services via phone.
Developing Interfaces of the Future
We are researching and applying machine learning tools and methodologies to create tailor-made, unique voice interfaces for developing countries and underrepresented languages & dialects. Voice is becoming the interface of the new generation in industrial countries, controlling automated homes and self driving cars. We aim to take this technology to places where the difference it can make is not merely one of convenience, but of participation.
Billions of people all around the world do not have access to information technology, including, and most importantly, the internet – a situation which constitutes a major inhibitor to social, educational and financial inclusion. This disconnect most strongly affects poor rural populations in developing countries. We are working on solutions that bridge this digital divide: Our technology enables these communities to access internet-based applications via voice input using conventional phones.
As a Data Scientist you will extend our Machine Learning team to generate insights from analyzing company data to support our product, sales and marketing teams. You will handle large data sets to find opportunities for product / process optimization & creation and using models to test the effectiveness of different alternatives of action. You will collaborate with stakeholders throughout the company and functional teams.
You will be working in an agile environment, following DevOps practices.
What you will be doing
- Identify opportunities for leveraging data to drive product development and support business needs
- Mine and analyze data to drive optimization of product, marketing and business strategies.
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques.
- Develop custom data models and algorithms to apply to data sets.
- Use predictive modeling to increase and optimize customer experiences, revenue generation, ad targeting and other business outcomes.
- Support development of a A/B testing framework and test model quality.
- Develop processes and tools to monitor and analyze model performance and data accuracy
- Master’s degree or PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or another relevant field
- 5-7 years of industry experience manipulating data sets and building statistical models
- Good knowledge on DBs and Data(base) Management, relational DBs, NoSQL, query optimization with indexes
- Experience in creating data architectures
- Knowledge of a variety of statistical and data mining techniques as well as machine learning techniques (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests, clustering, decision tree learning, artificial neural networks, etc.) and their dis-/advantages in real world applications
- Coding knowledge with Java and/or Python and a statistical computer languages (e.g. R)
- Experienced in visualizing data for stakeholders
- Eager to learn and master new technologies and techniques
- High responsibility and team-oriented work attitude
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
Good to have
- Experience with voice based user interfaces
- Experience in Agile and DevOps project methodologies
- Hands-On experience with technologies for handling large datasets such as Apache Spark or Hadoop
- Knowledge in the following development technologies:
- Deploying Docker containers for Microservice environments
- Versioning (Git)
- Additional languages (e.g. Bengali)
What we offer
- An international project with social impact
- An important and shaping role in a fast evolving company
- Opportunity to participate in establishing a new team and setting up work processes
- Competitive salary
- Flexibility to work from home and/or remotely
- Opportunities to attend conferences, courses and other venues of professional development
- A helpful and open working atmosphere with committed and motivated colleagues